- Combine 3 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa, 1 (or 2, if desired) tablespoons of butter, and 14 ounces of sweetened condensed milk in a medium saucepan.
- Set on medium heat and stir until thickened (approximately 5-8 minutes).
- Remove from heat. Stir in 1 tablespoon of pure vanilla extract, if desired. Let cool to room temperature.
- Form into small balls with butter-coated hands.
- To add sophistication, roll on toppings such as chocolate sprinkles or shaved almonds, and place in a small truffle wrapper. Brigadeiro may be chilled until ready to serve.